Robert Waters School: Encouraging Character in Union City Students
Social networking technology includes:
- Instant Messaging, email, voice connection and web cams
- Online Community websites, such as MySpace and Facebook
- Media sharing websites, such as YouTube, Picasa and Flickr
- Cell Phones for voice, text, picture and video sharing
Some of the highlights of the event included:
- Focusing on what it means to be a student which includes personal responsibility, reaching one’s full potential and achieving greatness by making sacrifices. Students discussed the importance of encouraging one another and avoiding negativity and criticism.
- Honestly confronting problems at home and school.
- The importance of working together and being involved with the community including family and friends, church, community organizations and school.
- Developing personal leadership especially through the quality of character.
- The use of a Secret Power: "You have the power to change the world by helping each other do what is right."
We then explored the dangers of inappropriate content, including:
- Pictures / Videos
- Language / Sexting
- Gangs / Criminal Activity
- Bullies / Cyberbullying
All students were encouraged to get involved, making "Character: The Heart of the Matter," as inspired by Rachel Scott's Challenge:
- ELIMINATE PREJUDICE
by looking for the Best in Others
- DARE TO DREAM
Set Goals—Keep a Journal
- CHOOSE YOUR INFLUENCES
Input Determines Output
- KIND WORDS
Small Acts of Kindness = Huge Impact
- START A CHAIN REACTION
With Family & Friends
As with all of my presentations, we concluded with a tribute honoring American Military Sacrifices.
Robert Waters School is to be highly commended for this initiative that encourages students to reach their full potential, wisely using the tools of the computer age, helping one another, developing personal character and enhancing a sense of patriotism.
|Rachel Joy Scott (3:32)||
|Rachel's Challenge||Click here to visit site|
|Character Education Partnership||Click here to visit site|
|Sacred Honor: Police Officer, Soldier, Patriot||Click here to visit site|