Friday, April 20, 2007

Remembering Columbine

On April 20, 2007, the nation commemorates the eighth anniversary of the Columbine High School tragedy and pauses to solemnly honor the memory of the twelve students and one teacher who perished on that fateful day in Littleton, Colorado:

Rachel Scott  ◊  Daniel Rohrbough  ◊  Dave Sanders
Kyle Velasquez  ◊  Steven Curnow  ◊  Cassie Bernall
Isaiah Shoels  ◊  Matthew Kechter  ◊  Lauren Townsend
John Tomlin  ◊  Kelly Fleming  ◊  Daniel Mauser
Corey DePooter

Rachel's Challenge is a program dedicated to the memory of Rachel Scott, the first person killed at Columbine. Through Rachel's writings and example, this program hopes to motivate positive change in the way we treat each other.

[Getting to Know Rachel — Reprinted www.rachelschallenge.com]

"Rachel had a unique way of tilting her head to the side when she was thinking seriously. And I remember her beautiful smile. Rachel had an inward motivation to accomplish as much as possible. Whenever she sensed an injustice being done to someone, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant it was, indignation rose up within her. She was always ready to stand up for anyone who she felt was mistreated."
– Darrell Scott, Rachel's Father

"We met the first day of class (fourth grade) and she shined back then too. Here's just one quick story: I remember one Halloween. I wore a Zorro costume to school, and I hated it because my mom made it and I felt pretty dorky. And Rachel came to me and said, 'What's wrong with you, Serge? I love Zorro. I like him. I'd like to be him. You wanna switch costumes with me?' end ever since then, we just had this bond that just grew and grew ever since our first play in fourth grade until our last play that we performed at Columbine."
– Sergio Gonzales, Rachel's friend

"Rachel lived a life filled with kindness and compassion, and because of it, she's changed the world."
– Craig Scott, Rachel's Brother

"I have this theory that if one person can
go out of their way to show compassion
then it will start a chain reaction of the same."

Rachel Joy Scott

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home