Thursday, October 08, 2026

THE BRONX, MEMORY, AND THE MYSTERY OF GRACE

A Contemplative Homecoming on the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary

Some journeys bring us back to places we once knew. Others bring us face-to-face with the person we have become, the people who shaped us, and the God who has accompanied us throughout our lives.

There are days when the experiences of a lifetime seem to converge in a single place. Memories long held, friendships remembered, prayers offered, formative encounters, and the responsibilities of a life's vocation come together with an intensity that is difficult to explain. We recognize familiar streets and buildings, yet we encounter them with eyes that have been changed by decades of experience, faith, loss, gratitude, and service.

October 7, 2026, was such a day for me.

Returning to the Bronx, where I spent the first twenty years of my life, became far more than a visit to the neighborhood of my youth. It was a deeply personal and spiritual homecoming, an experience of memory and contemplation that brought together my earliest formation, my lifelong relationship with God, and the vocation through which I have sought to serve others.

The day unfolded on the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, a fitting setting for an experience marked by remembrance, prayer, gratitude, and an awareness of the many ways God can work through the ordinary circumstances of our lives.

A WEEK OF REMEMBRANCE, FORMATION, AND GRACE

The days preceding my return to the Bronx had already been unusually meaningful.

On September 26, I celebrated my birthday, an occasion that naturally invites reflection upon the years that have passed, the people who have accompanied us, and the responsibilities that remain. Three days later, on September 29, the Church celebrated the archangels Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael, whose names and missions remind us of God's presence, His messages, and His protection.

September 30 brought another extraordinary moment. I returned to the Pontifical College Josephinum in Columbus, Ohio, the institution where I received my Master of Arts in Sacred Scripture and Master of Divinity in 1985. There, I received the 2026 Jessing Alumnus of the Year Award. Returning to the institution that had helped shape my spiritual and intellectual formation allowed me to reflect upon the relationship between the theological education of my earlier years and a lifetime of service in leadership, public safety, education, and the protection of others.

The days that followed continued to draw my attention toward the spiritual foundations of life. October 1 marked the feast of Saint Thérèse of Lisieux, whose little way reminds us that holiness is cultivated through love expressed in ordinary acts. October 2 brought the memorial of the Holy Guardian Angels, a reminder of God's loving care. On October 4, the Church celebrated Saint Francis of Assisi, whose poverty, humility, and love of creation continue to speak to the human heart. October 5 was the feast of Saint Faustina Kowalska, whose witness to Divine Mercy has been an enduring source of spiritual reflection.

During these same days, the beatification of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen had renewed a treasured memory from my years as a young Salesian seminarian. In February 1978, I had the privilege of speaking with him after Mass at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Newark. When I asked what Our Lord expected of a seminarian, his answer was direct and unforgettable: “Very simply, to be another Christ.” Nearly five decades later, that encounter remains a defining memory of my spiritual journey.

I was also deeply moved by the images and accounts of the Pope's visit to France, particularly the crowds who gathered to see him. There was something profoundly encouraging in the sight of so many people coming together around a figure who represents, for Catholics throughout the world, the continuing presence and mission of the Church. Such moments remind us that faith is not merely a private possession. It is lived within a community, expressed through relationships, and sustained by a shared hope that transcends the individual.

Taken together, these experiences created a remarkable spiritual backdrop for my return to the Bronx. Yet the significance of October 7 would emerge not through a formal ceremony or an extraordinary public event, but through walking familiar streets, remembering people I had known, entering places that had shaped me, and encountering the men and women entrusted with protecting the community.

BEGINNING WITH RECONCILIATION

My journey began when I arrived at Penn Station in Manhattan. Before making my way toward the Bronx, I entered St. Francis of Assisi Church and celebrated the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

That beginning placed the remainder of the day in perspective.

Before returning to the neighborhood of my childhood, before meeting the officers and detectives of the NYPD's 52nd Precinct, and before revisiting the places associated with so many memories, I had an opportunity to pause before God, examine my life, and receive the grace of the sacrament.

Reconciliation is a sacrament of mercy and renewal. It reminds us that our lives are not defined solely by what we accomplish, the positions we hold, or the responsibilities we carry. We remain human beings in need of God's forgiveness, guidance, and grace.

I then continued toward the Bronx, carrying with me the quiet awareness that the day had begun not with a professional engagement, but with a spiritual encounter.

THE LIBRARY, THOMAS MERTON, AND THE BEGINNING OF A JOURNEY

Walking through the neighborhood where I had spent the first twenty years of my life, I passed the library that had once introduced me, as a young teenager, to Thomas Merton.

I remembered entering that library and discovering his book Life and Holiness. What might have appeared to be an ordinary visit to a neighborhood library became an encounter whose influence would endure for decades. Merton's writings became a continuing part of my spiritual and intellectual life. I have studied his work throughout the years, maintain a collection of his books, and still keep copies available to give to others.

Passing that library again was therefore not simply an exercise in nostalgia. It was a return to one of the places where my spiritual formation had begun to deepen.

The young teenager who first opened Merton's book could not have anticipated the many turns his life would take. He could not have known that he would pursue graduate studies in theology, serve as a Eucharistic minister, write extensively about ethical leadership and human dignity, or spend so much of his professional life encouraging those entrusted with protecting others.

Yet the formative encounter had remained with me.

There is something humbling about revisiting a place where a significant part of one's interior life began. We often recognize the importance of an experience only after decades have passed and we can see the influence it exerted upon the person we became.

That library was still there. The memories were still there. And the spiritual questions that had begun to take shape in my youth had continued to accompany me throughout my life.

ST. BRENDAN'S CHURCH: WHERE A YOUNG BOY LEARNED TO KNEEL

Another place held an especially profound significance: St. Brendan's Church.

As a boy, I attended Sunday Mass there, went to Confession, and visited the Blessed Sacrament on my way home from school. I remember not simply entering the church, but walking toward the front and kneeling before the tabernacle.

More than sixty years have passed since those days.

Yet the memory remains remarkably vivid. I can still recall the simplicity of those visits, when a young boy would pause amid the ordinary movement of neighborhood life to spend time in the presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

At that age, I could not have understood all the theological dimensions of Eucharistic devotion. I could not have anticipated the studies, responsibilities, and experiences that would eventually deepen my understanding of the sacramental life of the Church. But the essential relationship was already taking shape: the instinct to enter the church, approach the tabernacle, and spend time in prayer.

Walking past St. Brendan's again brought those memories into the present.

The years between the young boy and the older man seemed to narrow. The places were familiar, but I now understood them through the accumulated experience of a lifetime devoted to study, prayer, service, and reflection.

I thought of the many people who had influenced me, the experiences that had tested me, and the opportunities I had received to help others. I was reminded that our formation does not end when we leave a school, complete a degree, or assume a professional responsibility. It continues through the encounters, relationships, sufferings, and blessings that shape us over time.

The tabernacle before which I had knelt as a boy represented a spiritual point of reference that had endured through all those changes.

ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI: A VOCATION THAT ENDURED

My connection with St. Brendan’s Church continued into my early adulthood. When I was about twenty, a Franciscan friar visited the parish and spoke about the life of St. Francis of Assisi. His presentation profoundly moved me. I returned home and found my deceased grandmother’s copy of G. K. Chesterton’s The Life of St. Francis of Assisi, which I read with great devotion. 

Through that friar and with several friends from the parish, I became a member of the Third Order of St. Francis, an experience that brought me considerable spiritual joy during my early college years. As a sign of my Franciscan commitment, I wore the distinctive scapular and cord associated with the Third Order, tangible expressions of a spiritual bond that held deep meaning for me.

More than fifty years later, my connection with St. Francis remains an enduring part of my spiritual life. Visiting Assisi with my wife Lily in 2023 was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life, deepening my special connection with the saint whose example had so profoundly influenced me in my youth.

THE PEOPLE WHO REMAIN WITH US

As I continued walking, I passed the homes of friends and buildings that brought back memories of familiar faces. I looked up toward windows where I once greeted people or exchanged a simple hello. I remembered Friday evenings spent walking toward Fordham Road to shop, attend the movies, and meet friends, including those coming north from Arthur Avenue.

These were the ordinary experiences of growing up in the Bronx. At the time, they were simply part of life.

Now, after so many decades, they had acquired a different significance.

Some of the people I remembered had died young. Others had endured difficult journeys. Memories of loss returned alongside memories of friendship and happiness. I thought of a young friend from the neighborhood who had drowned in the reservoir and remembered going to McEwen Funeral Parlor to mourn his death.

Such memories remind us of the fragility of human life. The streets we once walked with friends eventually become places through which we pass alone, carrying recollections of people who are no longer physically present.

Yet remembrance can become an act of love.

As these people came to mind, I prayed for the souls of those who had died. I prayed for those whose lives had been marked by hardship, for those whose journeys had ended far too early, and for those whose stories I would never fully know. I entrusted them to God's mercy and hoped that their lives, with all their joys and sorrows, had been touched by His grace.

The Catholic understanding of the communion of saints gives profound meaning to such moments. Our relationship with God does not make the people we have loved less important. Rather, it deepens our awareness of the enduring significance of love, prayer, and the hope of eternal life.

We cannot return to the past or recover the conversations that time has taken from us. But we can remember, give thanks, forgive where forgiveness is needed, and pray.

Walking those streets became an act of remembrance and intercession. The people of my youth were no longer simply figures from an earlier chapter of my life. They were present in my thoughts and prayers, held within the continuing story of a life that had been shaped, in so many ways, by the neighborhood we had shared.

ORDINARY ENCOUNTERS, EXTRAORDINARY MEANING

The spiritual character of the day did not remain confined to churches, libraries, or memories of the past.

I walked along Bainbridge Avenue, passing the stores and businesses that form the everyday fabric of a neighborhood. I stopped for lunch at a Mexican restaurant, where my own heightened emotions seemed to find expression in a particularly generous tip for the waitress. I also gave her a Miraculous Medal that I routinely carry in my pocket for such occasions.

Her gratitude touched me.

The gesture was simple. It did not require an elaborate explanation or a lengthy conversation. It was an opportunity to offer something meaningful to another person and to encounter her with kindness.

I mention this because spiritual life is sometimes mistakenly separated from the ordinary circumstances in which we live. We may associate prayer with a church, contemplation with silence, and holiness with extraordinary acts of devotion. Yet much of the Christian life unfolds in ordinary encounters—with a waitress, a neighbor, a colleague, a stranger, or someone whose path crosses ours for only a few moments.

The opportunity to treat another person with generosity, respect, and compassion is never insignificant.

That afternoon, the same spirit of gratitude accompanied me from the streets of my youth to the precinct where I would spend time with the men and women of the NYPD. The circumstances changed, but the underlying conviction remained: every encounter offers an opportunity to recognize the dignity of another human being.

THE SOUND OF CHILDREN AND THE FUTURE OF THE COMMUNITY

During my visit to the NYPD's 52nd Precinct, I became aware of the new school adjacent to the station house. I could hear the sounds of children playing.

For me, that was more than a passing detail.

Having served as a teacher and school principal, I have long appreciated the importance of education, character formation, and the relationships that help young people grow into responsible adults. I spoke with Deputy Inspector Asif Iqbal, the precinct's commanding officer, about the school and asked how closely the precinct was involved with its students and staff.

The conversation brought to mind how much the relationship between police and community has evolved over the decades. In my youth, a police officer was often someone seen passing in a patrol car or encountered when a problem had already occurred. Today, community and neighborhood policing offer opportunities for officers to become familiar, approachable, and constructive presences in the lives of young people.

I encouraged the precinct to continue cultivating those relationships.

Police officers must sometimes become lions and lionesses, prepared to confront those who would harm innocent people. Their courage, authority, and readiness to respond to danger remain essential. But much of their work also involves de-escalation, communication, sound judgment, and the patient development of trust.

Children who encounter officers in their schools and neighborhoods can begin to recognize the human beings behind the uniforms. Officers, in turn, have opportunities to know the communities they serve beyond the circumstances of emergencies and enforcement.

These relationships matter because trust is not created solely when a crisis occurs. It develops over time, through familiarity, consistency, mutual respect, and the experience of being treated with dignity.

As I listened to the children playing near the precinct, I found myself reflecting on the continuity between generations. I had once been a young boy walking those Bronx streets, attending school, visiting the church, and discovering books that would influence my life. Now I was speaking with the police commander about children growing up in that same community and the importance of helping them feel connected to the people responsible for their safety.

The sound of those children seemed to bring the past and future together.

A WELCOME THAT BECAME PART OF THE EXPERIENCE

The commanding officer's hospitality added another extraordinary dimension to the day.

Deputy Inspector Iqbal personally welcomed me, introduced me to members of his command, and accompanied me throughout the precinct. He brought me through different areas of the building, outside and around the station house, and showed me the old horse stables associated with its history.

His personal attention was remarkable. Rather than leaving me to make my own way through the precinct, he took responsibility for ensuring that I met the people who served there and experienced the command as a whole.

I was particularly grateful for his introduction to the detectives and for the opportunity to address them directly. Their attentiveness, the intensity with which they listened, and their evident pride in their profession made a lasting impression. Later, I spoke with newer officers, many fresh from the academy, whose nervousness and attentiveness reminded me of the beginning of a professional journey and the importance of encouragement during those formative years.

I had come to express gratitude and to remind these men and women of the dignity of their service. Yet I left with a renewed appreciation for the privilege of being welcomed into their professional home.

I cannot presume to know what each individual carried away from our conversations. What I can say is that the encounter was deeply meaningful to me. I saw faces, heard voices, observed expressions, and experienced the attentiveness of people who had made room in their working day for a visitor returning to a neighborhood that had once been his home.

The experience reinforced a conviction that has guided much of my work: the most meaningful relationships are often built through personal presence, sincere listening, and the willingness to recognize another person's humanity.

THE FEAST OF OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY

Looking back, I find it particularly meaningful that this homecoming took place on October 7, the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary.

The Rosary is a prayer of contemplation. Through its mysteries, we accompany Christ through the events of His life, death, and Resurrection, with the Blessed Virgin Mary as our companion in prayer. Its rhythm invites us to move beyond distraction and consider more deeply the mysteries of faith, the meaning of suffering, the reality of grace, and the hope of redemption.

In its own way, my walk through the Bronx became contemplative.

The places I passed prompted memories. The memories prompted gratitude, sorrow, and prayer. The people I recalled led me to pray for the deceased. The encounters of the day invited me to consider the relationship between my own formation and the responsibilities I have undertaken throughout my life.

I do not claim that every coincidence carries a hidden message, nor can I fully explain the meaning of everything I experienced. But I can recognize the spiritual significance that the day held for me. The feast of Our Lady of the Rosary offered a fitting setting for an experience in which remembrance, prayer, and the contemplation of life's mysteries became inseparable.

The Rosary teaches us to return repeatedly to the mysteries of Christ, not because we have exhausted their meaning, but because each return can deepen our understanding. Perhaps there is something similar in returning to places that have shaped us. We see the same buildings, walk the same streets, and remember the same people, yet we encounter them differently because the years have changed us.

The place remains familiar. The heart has grown.

THE MYSTERY OF A LIFETIME

As I reflect upon this experience, I return to the relationship between formation and vocation.

The young boy who visited St. Brendan's Church, knelt before the tabernacle, and discovered Thomas Merton in a neighborhood library could not have anticipated the life that lay ahead. The young man who later pursued theological studies could not have foreseen every professional responsibility, every personal challenge, every opportunity to serve, or every encounter that would influence his understanding of human dignity.

Yet, looking back, I can recognize continuities that were not always apparent while I was living them.

The spiritual foundations established in my youth continued to inform my theological education. That formation became part of my understanding of ethical leadership, character, education, and responsibility. Over the years, these principles found expression in work with law enforcement, first responders, educators, and communities.

The outward form of my vocation changed, but the fundamental questions remained: How do we recognize the dignity of another person? How do we respond to suffering? How do we exercise responsibility with integrity? How do we encourage those who devote themselves to protecting others? And how can we ensure that our knowledge and experience become instruments of service rather than ends in themselves?

These questions connect the young boy who once walked the Bronx with the man who returned decades later to encourage its protectors.

The experience was not a declaration that I had completed a journey or arrived at some final understanding. Rather, it was an opportunity to recognize how much of life remains connected to its beginnings, and how the people and places that shape us continue to speak to us long after we have moved beyond them.

My theological education, my professional work, my friendships, the people I have lost, and the communities I have served are not separate compartments of my life. They belong to one continuing journey, imperfect and unfinished, sustained by relationships and by the grace of God.

A CONTEMPLATIVE HOMECOMING

I left the Bronx with a heart full of memories and gratitude.

I had walked streets that had once been part of my daily life. I had revisited places associated with the beginnings of my spiritual formation. I had remembered friends, prayed for those who had died, offered a small gesture of kindness to a waitress, and heard children playing beside a precinct whose officers I had come to encourage.

I had also experienced the generosity of a commanding officer and the attentiveness of detectives and police officers who welcomed me into their working lives.

It would be easy to describe the day as a successful professional visit or a pleasant walk down memory lane. Both descriptions would be incomplete.

For me, it was a profoundly mystical and contemplative experience—not because I claim to understand every dimension of it, but because the ordinary events of the day became occasions for a deeper awareness of memory, vocation, human connection, and God's presence in my life.

The grace I experienced did not remove the passage of time, restore those who had died, or allow me to return to the years of my youth. It gave me an opportunity to encounter those years anew, with gratitude for what had been, prayer for those who were no longer present, and renewed appreciation for the responsibilities that remain.

I thought of the library and the book that had helped open a door to contemplation. I remembered the church where I had knelt before the Blessed Sacrament as a boy. I remembered friends whose lives had intersected with mine and whose memories continue to call forth prayer. I thought of the children playing beside the precinct and the officers entrusted with protecting their future.

And I thought of the God who had accompanied me through the many stages of that journey.

On the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, I returned to the Bronx and found myself contemplating not simply the life I had lived, but the relationships, experiences, and moments of grace through which that life had taken shape.

The streets had changed. The years had passed. Many of the people I once knew were gone. Yet the spiritual foundations of my youth remained, and the responsibility to serve others continued.

Perhaps that is one of the gifts of returning home after a lifetime: we begin to recognize that the places we leave behind are never entirely left behind. They remain within us, woven into our memories, our convictions, our prayers, and the ways we encounter others.

I returned to the Bronx to spend time with the men and women who protect the community. I left with a renewed sense of gratitude for the community that had helped form me, for the people whose lives had touched mine, and for the vocation that continues to give direction to my days.

Some homecomings return us to a place. Others allow us to glimpse, with gratitude and wonder, the grace that has accompanied the journey all along.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam — For the Greater Glory of God.

About the Author

Vincent J. Bove is a nationally recognized authority on ethical leadership, violence prevention, and law enforcement resiliency.

A sought-after speaker and prolific author, his work has influenced agencies and institutions across the United States for more than 25 years.

Bove has authored more than 400 published articles and four books addressing critical issues in public safety, leadership, and moral courage. 

His book Reawakening America© was named a finalist for ASIS International’s Book of the Year. Listen to Their Cries© was selected and sponsored for distribution to all attendees—students representing institutions from across the United States—at the National Conference on Ethics in America by the Simon Center for the Professional Military Ethic at the United States Military Academy, at the request of a coalition of West Point graduates involved in the conference.

He was appointed the first-ever Honorary Law Enforcement Motivational Speaker by the New York City Police Department, conducting leadership and resiliency initiatives across all five boroughs of New York City.

Bove is also the author of more than seventy articles published in Law Officer, a national publication serving law enforcement professionals across the United States. His work emphasizes ethical leadership, preventive strategies, officer resilience, and the preservation of public trust in modern policing—drawing on American history and enduring leadership traditions to reinforce the importance of character, accountability, and moral courage.

He is a trusted voice at Federal Bureau of Investigation venues, United States Military Academy, and numerous U.S. military facilities. A longtime author for the National Association of Chiefs of Police, he has written 18 cover stories and contributed to shaping national law enforcement dialogue through feature articles and reports.

“Vincent J. Bove is considered one of the foremost national experts on school and workplace violence prevention, specializing in facility protection, evacuations, terrorism prevention, and leadership training.” — U.S. Senate

PHOTO: Vincent J. Bove conducting an ethical leadership, morale, and resiliency initiative at the NYPD 75th Precinct, Brooklyn, August 13, 2026. (Photo by NYPD Officer Justin Constantino for RALLC)

PHOTOS

1. Saint Brendan's Church, 207th Street, Bronx, New York, where Vincent J. Bove attended Sunday Mass, and visited the Blessed Sacrament walking home from elementary school. (Vincent J. Bove for RALLC, Oct. 7, 2026)

2. Saint Brendan's Catholic School, 207th Street, Bronx, New York where Vincent J. Bove attended elementary school from the 5th - 8 grade, now a charter school. (Vincent J. Bove for RALLC)

3. Tomb of Saint Francis of Assisi, Assisi, Italy - Vincent J. Bove at prayer on June 27, 2023...tribute image developed for the 800th anniversary of the Feast of Saint Francis on October 4, 2026. (Yiyi Bove for RALLC)

4. Bank on corner of 206th street and Bainbridge Avenue, formally North Side Savings Bank where the author had his first bank account and saved for a trip to Italy after freshman year at Mount Saint Michael High School with his friend Tony Damiani. (Vincent J. Bove for RALLC)

5. Illustration of Vincent J. Bove initiative for the NYPD 52nd precinct, visited on October 7, 2026 at the request of Commanding Officer Asif Iqbal. (Image concept and development Vincent J. Bove for RALLC)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home