Friday, July 17, 2009

5 Police Officers Shot in Jersey City: Follows Killings of Police in Philadelphia and Oakland

Over the past 15 years, I have had the privilege of working with many outstanding members of the Jersey City Police Department and Port Authority Police on numerous security, community policing and leadership initiatives. These experiences make the shooting of 5 police officers (4 from the Jersey City Police Department and 1 from the Port Authority Police) on Thursday, July 16, 2009 particularly distressing.

Other recent shootings of police this year, including Oakland, California when 4 officers were killed on March 22 and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on February 13 when another officer was killed, must make us pause to appreciate our law enforcement officers who put themselves in harm's way to protect us from the pervasive violence throughout our nation.

This morning I received an email entitled Pray for our brothers who stood up and protected us on July 16, 2009 from an officer in the Jersey City Police Department. The email reminds us that these brother officers represent the best in all of us and are in need of our prayers.

We would do well to reflect on Psalm 23 from this email as we pray for these officers:

PSALM 23

The LORD is my shepherd,
   I shall not want;
he makes me lie down in green pastures.

He leads me beside still waters;
   he restores my soul.

He leads me in paths of righteousness
   for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley
   of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil; for thou art with me;
   thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me
   in the presence of my enemies;
thou anointest my head with oil,
   my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life;
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home