Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Columbine Survivor Remembers Slain Sister: Advises President and Educators

Before the President of the United States and three hundred participants, Craig Scott, brother of Rachel Scott, the first student killed at Columbine, advised America and honored the legacy of his sister at the October 10, 2006 White House School Safety Conference.  The conference was convened by the Department of Education and the Department of Justice at the request of the White House due to the numerous school violence tragedies during the last few weeks.
 
Craig stated, "I had 10 classmates that were killed around me.  I lost two friends underneath a table, and then later that day learned that my sister Rachel Joy Scott, was the first one that was killed."
 
"Once upon a time, our goal in our country was first and foremost, character.  Academic achievement is now the main goal...Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were very smart...They're problem wasn't their education at my school, Columbine.  Their problem was their character."
 
"My sister put down on paper before she died, "I have this theory if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, it will start a chain reaction of the same."
 
"I challenge every teacher, principal, superintendent and educator here today to look at teaching that doesn't just teach the head, but teaches the heart."
 
Read Rachel Scott's Challenge:

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home